Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I Big Chopped...November 19th!

Yes. You heard right I, a person who never really did anything drastic or out of the ordinary cut my relaxed hair off. Actually my mommy did!! I am so proud and happy for her as well as myself!! For some reason I was set on cutting my hair. Over the past few weeks I have been cutting bits of my hair just to see what it looks like. I was beginning to have a little collection LOL. That night I was set on cutting my hair I washed my hair and afterwards stated chopping. My older sister was telling me her opinion (how she won't like it, what will you do with it, etc.) I was set on it and my sister isn't into natural hair from what I know. My mother came into the bathroom and cut my hair. My older sister of course went down stairs to announce to the world (which happened to be just my father) I was going natural. OK. Well, my dad didn't know I was cutting my hair!! Yea I didn't feel the need to inform daddy because it was something that I thought about for 8+ months and I already asked and received his opinion about natural hair (No). When he came up he was furious. However my mom went on and when I looked in the mirror I wasn't immediately shocked just smiling and looking at my hair. I told my mom thank you. She has always been asking me when I will perm my hair and please can you perm your hair but I didn't want to. She surprised me that day. I am really thankful to have parents like these. (Yes including my father) 


I have to admit I was semi-shocked. I am not one of those people that always had long hair. I am not emotionally attached to my hair. When my hair was finished cut my head didn't feel any lighter. My hair was past collar bone length (has never reached any longer). Having my father reject my hair was kind of troublesome to me but my mom brought me right up. My hair wasn't thin where I was put in a position where I felt I had to cut my hair. I just needed a CHANGE. It is just hair. I am not cutting off an arm. It will grow back. After high school I felt that I am stuck with the person people want me to be. I wanted to do something and I did it. I feel liberated. (I guess), strange and complex.


The reason why I didn't right an entry was because I was in a complex state of mind. My feelings were all mixed and not one definite feeling/mood. I don't regret it. I can't wait to see progress in the months and years to come!! I am going to document my hair. (that sounds a bit ridiculous) just to have something fun to do and SEE progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment